We at Orbital Eye are passionate about the integration of Earth Observation (EO) technology into sustainable monitoring solutions for a wide variety of EO-based processes and activities. We are an international and dynamic company.
Our flagship product CoSMiC-EYE is an EO-based subscription service for monitoring activities, like excavations and construction, along linear infrastructure, aimed at reducing the risk of accidental damage. For this we leverage the unique EO capabilities of Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) satellites, supplemented with medium and high-resolution data from multispectral (MS) and optical satellites. This means we are collecting and processing many thousands of square kilometers of satellite data on a daily basis to derive and provide actionable intelligence to our customers.
For this internship role at Orbital Eye, we are looking for a student that is passionate about problem solving and has a good knowledge of software engineering design patterns. A big part of your assignment will be focused on making our EO-based change detection system more scalable (e.g., investigating orchestration tools and distributed task schedulers), efficient (e.g., by means of multi-threading, improving legacy code, etc.) and secure, to accompany the business growth. Besides, you will work closer to the data analysts and the infrastructure team and develop tools to support the day-to-day operations. This also involves gathering internal and external requirements, maintaining, testing and extending the existing codebase, and applying new technologies to our monitoring solution. You will see your contributions in production in a short time. Having the service scalability in mind, possible internship topics include contributing to:
- Refactoring our codebase organization and setup continuous integration by migrating to Git;
- Converting our prototype data analysis codebase from Matlab to Python;
- Dividing our existing Python processing stack into multiple packages and define their interfaces;
- Implementing an orchestration framework for node deployment, task scheduling and monitoring.
We welcome you to apply if you recognize yourself in the profile below:
– Enrollment in a Computer Science or relevant engineering study
– Available 16h-40h per week
– Ambition to work in a start-up/scale-up environment
– Passionate about EO and applications thereof
– Skilled in software development in Python
– Experience with Linux environments
– Fluent in English (verbally and in writing)
– Located in The Netherlands with commuting possibility to Delft
The following is considered an asset:
– Full professional proficiency in another language
– Experience with other programming languages
– Knowledge of docker, ansible, or similar tools
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org